In America and the world today, we need a heart transplant of such. I’m not much on New Year’s resolutions. I believe that you don’t have to wait until January 1 to decide to improve yourself. One aspect of my life that I am resolving to improve is my outlook. I am going to develop a “Positive Mental Attitude” (PMA). As with any habit or exercise, it takes repetition and practice to develop. Some ways to train yourself for a positive mental attitude is:
1. Making yourself friendly and approachable – There is a saying “To have friends, you must be friendly”. If you look or sound gruff or unapproachable, people would have a hard time communicating back to you in a positive friendly manner. Communication is a two-way street and the way you are perceived by the other person will likely draw the same reaction.
“To have friends, you must be friendly”
2. Helping other people – There is a good chance you got to where you are with the help of someone else. Do the same for others. Take time to help others succeed and reach their goals. It will give you a sense of accomplishment as well as pride for being selfless.
3. Appreciation – First and foremost, you need to have a good sense of self. You must be able to appreciate who you are. Express your appreciation for where you are in life right now, even if feel like you still have a long way to go. Not one of us is perfect, but every one of us has purpose and talents. Appreciate and recognize your contributions daily. Then, appreciate others for what they do.
“You must be able to appreciate who you are.”
4. Compliments – Everyone loves to be complimented! Find something they are doing well and compliment them. Not with fake and vain words and approach, but with a genuine attitude that reflects you really do feel they are doing well. You yourself will find they will in return find something that they appreciate about you.
5. Change your negative attitude – This one can be huge in today’s environment and a hurdle for most of us. With all of the political and social turmoil, it is easy to get caught up in. Be a change agent. If you find yourself becoming angry or leaning negatively about something, focus on something that you love such as your wants or desires, your family pet or reaching or maintaining your goals. Give yourself time to change your negative attitude to one that is more positive.
6. Beliefs – If you believe what you believe is really real, does your life reflect it. Also, consider in order to succeed you must believe in yourself and that you can do exactly what you put your mind too. Set realistic, achievable goals and maintain a positive attitude.
“If you believe what you believe is really real, does your life reflect it?”
Remember, life is what you perceive it to be and we are all learning and growing every day. Learn from every lesson, the good and the bad and strive to make your life better. When you propose yourself to live focused on the positive aspects of life, you will attract good things into your life and maintain a positive mental attitude. All of this will help you to stay on your path to achieving success and peace of mind.